Nothing makes your home more comfortable in the summertime than your cooling system. Unfortunately, not many people give their air conditioner a second thought until it quits working. Murphy’s Law dictates this happening on the hottest day of the season.
If not maintained properly, even the highest quality equipment requires repair eventually. In fact, without routine maintenance, your system actually costs you more money because it runs less efficiently than it should. Depending on how you cool your home, and the climate in which you live, clogged filters, unlubricated fans, and dirty thermostats can reduce your unit’s efficiency by a whopping 25 percent.
Many of the following maintenance tips are simple tasks, and they will help you avoid the cost and hassle of AC repair in Mooresville.
Tips To Improve AC Efficiency
As professional AC repair technicians in Mooresville, we like to provide our customers with maintenance tips and guidelines for caring for their outdoor HVAC units. Following these tips leads to better efficiency, extended life and easier service of the air conditioning unit.
- The thermostat – Find a comfortable temperature and leave it there. Constantly adjusting the temperature causes higher utility costs. If you’re using the setback feature, limit the setback to twice a day – while you’re at work and while you’re sleeping. Only setback the temperature of about five degrees.
- The top of the unit – Something we see all the time is people placing things on top of an outdoor unit. Take it from us, this only leads to costly AC repair in Mooresville, NC, especially if the fan is on top of the unit. If this is the case, and things are placed on top, air cannot flow properly to cool the system.
- The condenser coils – The condenser coils can get dirty. When they do, turn the unit off and spray the coils with a heavy-duty degreaser. Let it sit for a few minutes and then hose the coils off.
- Mowing the grass – Mow the grass around the air conditioner with the chute pointed away from the unit. Grass clippings caught in the condenser coils greatly reduces the AC’s efficiency.
- The weed whacker – We prefer customers to not use weed whackers around their ac units, but of course, that’s asking a lot. If you do use a weed whacker take care not to damage the coils or aluminum fins. Watch out for thermostat wires as well. Damaging any of these components is a costly fix.
Gardening and Landscaping Tips To Avoid An AC Repair
Most HVAC repair techs will probably agree with the following tips. In fact, not following them could result in not being able to get AC Repair in Mooresville, North Carolina, or anywhere else. When it comes to planting around your outdoor AC, use common sense.
- Don’t plant holly, roses or other prickly plants around the unit. This is a sure-fire way to make getting repairs done almost impossible.
- If you plant exotic flowers or a garden near or around your air conditioner, don’t expect a technician to tippy-toe around them.
- Plant shrubs if you must around the unit, but plan on keeping them 18 to 30 inches away, even several years down the road when they’ve grown. Technicians hate having to dig through shrubs for access panels, and might even refuse to service your unit if this is the case.
- Don’t install a fence around the unit and then expect a technician to jump it or uninstall it to service the AC. This isn’t very considerate, and it’s dangerous too.
- The ideal landscaping around your outdoor AC is crushed stone. It helps keep the unit level, prevents grass and dirt from washing up into the unit, and keeps the tech’s feet clean during service calls.
AC Unit Repair Services You Can Trust
If you’re in need of affordable AC repair in Mooresville, look no further than Climatech Heating & Cooling, Inc. With expert HVAC technicians on hand to handle your call, we provide quick and reliable service, whether it’s routine maintenance or an emergency. We understand how important your AC is to your comfort, so call us today at 704-483-7343, or visit our website to learn more.
Climatech Heating & Cooling, Inc. understands that an AC repair or maintenance service can add up in cost. That's why we have financing and special offer options available to our valued customers, including an offer of 0% APR financing for 60 months or a trade-in allowance of up to $1000 from Trane. To find out more, reach out to our team today!